Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Northern Lights Tree

  I was poking around on Pinterest a few weeks ago and came across this lovely card by Heather Telford.  It looked like a fun technique and the new stamp set Sheltering Tree would be a perfect fit for the tree.  Thanks for the inspiration Heather!

  I played around a bit and designed a card that would work for my stamp club last week.  I like the clean look of this card and the sponged sky looks way harder than it is!


  To make the snow bank just tear a piece of copy paper and lay it across the bottom of your Whisper White cardstock.  I used a bit of re-positional adhesive to hold the copy paper mask in place.  Next just sponge on your ink using a wiping/swiping motion up the cardstock starting at the mask.  Add ink as needed to get a darker concentration at the bottom and lightening towards the top.  Make sure to overlap and blend the colors a bit so you don't have just stripes.  I used Marina Mist and Perfect Plum ink.

  After getting the sky to your satisfaction stamp the tree in black ink.  My tree panel is popped on dimensionals.  The sentiment is also stamped in black and embellished with a rhinestone.

  This is an easy card that doesn't take a lot of tools or accessories to make it a Wow! card!.

  The base of this card is Wisteria Wonder but in class we used Perfect Plum to coordinate with our ink.  I had both colors out on my stamping desk when I was designing and grabbed the wrong one for my sample.

  I've had a lot of fun with sponging techniques lately.  Check out my Bokeh inspired card from yesterday for another idea!

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Sheltering Tree (Occasions)

Ink: Marina Mist, Perfect Plum, Black

Paper: Wisteria Wonder, Basic Black, Whisper White

Accessories: dimensionals, rhinestone, sponges

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, Amanda! Our daughter and her Family just went to Norway to see the real Northern lights...Gods awesomeness, for sure! Thanks for sharing your lovely card! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    I'm glad you were inspired by my Northern Lights card. I like the texture you have in your background colours. I have tried to create northern lights effects in several cards now but I am yet to see the real thing!
    Heather T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!