Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Week - Day 1

  So this week at my boys' preschool we're having Teacher Appreciation Week.  The school is our church's preschool and while it's not huge we have a terrific group of teachers who are so dedicated it's the least we can do to show that we really appreciate them and all that they do for our kids.  The Booster Club president and I came up with some ideas for a little something special for the teachers for each day of the week.  Some of the teachers only teach on certain days so we didn't want any of them to miss out just by doing one or 2 things.  Along with breakfast on Monday and Tuesday, lunch on Wednesday and Thursday and a gift card on Friday I've made a little treat for them for each day.  I was supposed to host a little party at my house for other parents to help make the little gifts but with Easter, Mother's Day and various schedules to work around it just didn't happen so I've been plugging away at making 14 of each item. 

  Yesterday was the first day of Teacher Appreciation and each teacher was given a large flower vase.  The kids were asked to bring in a flower for each of their teachers to put into the vases.  To dress the vase up I came up with these little flower tags with the teacher's name on them.  We just tied the tag around the vase with the grosgrain ribbon.  Please excuse my poor handwriting, I know it looks awful!  Also the picture is not the best as I finished up the tags on Sunday night and forgot to take a photo with my light box and only just remembered right before leaving the house on Monday morning...so my scratched up (thank you Matchbox cars!) window sill will have to do but I'm sure you can get the idea.


    This was a pretty easy project and I did most of it sitting on the couch watching TV.  The base of the tag is made from the 2 Tags Big Shot die using Poppy Parade cardstock.  For the name I punched out a wide oval in Whisper White, sponged the edges with Pear Pizzazz and then wrote the names with my Poppy Parade marker. 

  For the ruffled flower I just punched out 5 scalloped circles from the Sunny Garden DSP.  I used this color scheme and DSP for all the projects for a cohesive look throughout the week...and also to save on costs...you can get a ton of projects out of 1 pack of DSP and about 20 sheets of cardstock!  Anyway back to the flower...I crumpled up and flattened each scallop circle several times to give it that softer look.  I stacked all 5 scalloped circles and then stuck a jeweled rhinestone brad through the center and then through the tag.  I did use my paper piercer to make a guide hole first so it would be easier to push the brad through all those layers.

  To make the leaf, all I did was punch out a scalloped oval from Pear Pizzazz cardstock, fold it in half lengthwise and put it through the crimper (bet you haven't used your crimper in forever!!) and then unfold it.  The leaf is just adhered underneath the bottom layer of the flower. 

  It's hard to tell in the photo but the white grosgrain ribbon to tie around the vase is just stuck through the brad prongs and then the prongs are flattened back out.  I figured the teachers could always take the ribbon off and use it as a bookmark or something if they wanted.

  Stay tuned tomorrow for the next project!

  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: None

Ink: Pear Pizzazz, Poppy Parade (marker)

Paper: Poppy Parade, Whisper White, Sunny Garden DSP, Pear Pizzazz

Accessories: 2 Tags Die, Wide Oval punch, Scalloped Circle punch, rhinestone brad, grosgrain ribbon, crimper, paper piercer

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! Girl this was a great idea! Your tag is beautiful, and I'll bet it looks wonderful on a vase FULL of flowers! Great job - can't wait to see the next day's goodies! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute idea! I'll have to remember this for teacher appreciation next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tag and flower! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!